Thursday 27 January 2011

Production and post-production.

Group Roles
Jordan-Director/Producer (in charge of organization and final production)
Jordans job was to film the thriller film and
Daniel-Location/Lighting (In charge of choosing suitable locations)
Anthony-Camera/sound (In charge of the camera equipment)
Yona-Make-up/Hair/Props (In charge of costumes and props)

During the production my main role was to be the makeup director, firstly I put the face-paint on our clown actor which was quite difficult as we didn’t have a brush however I instead used my hands. I then had to dress myself up as I Was the main character in our opening sequence, I lastly had to make something which looked like a baby in a blanket, I did this by gathering around 5 toys and putting them into a blanket, the result was quite good. One of the dilemmas that we faced while filming was achieving a low lit room, I had the idea to place a black glove around one of the bulbs and the outcome was very good and we got what we aiming for. Another difficulty that we face while filming was achieving the right camera shots in a very cramped surrounding, we found a way around this by changing the position of the camera and some of the shots.
Camera angles and shots we used
Tracking shot- to show the girl walking around the house and to build up suspense as the audience’s eyes are following her.
Over the shoulder shot-to show the character through the eyes of the villain, helps the audience identify with the vulnerable teenage girl.
Low angle shot-to show the eye line of the clown, the audience is looking at the girl from his eye.
High angle
Extreme long shot-to show the surroundings of the clown and to add suspense to the shot as the clown is small yet evil.

I dressed the clown on set and this was what his costume looked like.
During the filming this was the outcome for my clown make-up, I was pleased with it however the consistency of the white powder was crumbly and did not convey the look I was going for.


 
Post-production
During post-production my main role was to be the editor with Jordan the director. I firstly found this role extremely difficult as ‘Final Cut pro’ is a complicated programme, however over time I became more comfortable with it. Editing is a very important part of making a film and I learnt a great deal throughout my experience, I learnt how to make scenes shorter and how to add motion blur. Me and the director choose the most important scenes and then cut it all down into two minutes which then gave us our finished product.
We only had a week to edit our thriller and our group chose me and Jordan to do this job, we started off with around 3 minutes and thirty seconds of footage of which we had to cut down as our thriller is only allowed to be two minutes long.We cut down clips that were unneeded in our film such a long tracking shot and a shot of the girl sitting down.

From my experience in making a two minute thriller opening I have learnt that it is a long hard process to getting everything right, there is a lot of thinking that needs to take place and one small mistake can make you rethink the whole thing. I have learnt how to use a camera and I have also learnt how to get desired camera angles.

1 comment:

  1. Yona your post is very vague you have given a basic outline of both the production and post production process. You could go into more detail by suggesting what you have learnt, you could also add pictures of you in role as the make up artist whilst on location.

    you also need to elaborate on what you learnt within the post production stage of your opening thriller.

    ReplyDelete